This lesson is based on a YouTube video published by Russell Brand on his own YouTube channel. He is simply giving his thoughts on the Notre Dame disaster and how this reflects the 'fragility of the [current] situation' and human nature in general.
The aims of the lesson are:
- to help learners practise their listening for specific information by answering comprehension questions and T/F statements.
- to offer learners the opportunity to practise their speaking skills by expressing their own views on the Notre Dame disaster, by participating in a debate, etc.
- to introduce topic-related lexis, e.g. symbolic, narrative, confront, discomforted, etc.
- to raise learners' awareness of what constitutes a symbol of culture and the different factors that affect this decision.
Length: two 45-minute lessons (more or less 😊)
- learner handout
- cards with words
- cards with definitions
- Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrd9Q8COF5Y&t=1s
Cards with words 1-9
Cards with definitions a-j
Hope you like it!
Please, let me know in the comments what your students thought if you decide to use the materials!